Our Investment Criteria
The Abell Foundation is dedicated to the enhancement of the quality of life in Maryland, with a focus on Baltimore City. We invest in promising startup companies with proprietary innovations that offer the opportunity to simultaneously achieve above market returns while adding benefit to society at large. We may also invest growth capital in mature businesses that can create employment opportunities in the City through business expansion. Return from these investments are used to further our grant making priorities and to reinvest in local businesses.
We are open to attractive investments across industry sectors and investment stages. Reflecting local economic strengths, we invest in medical devices and diagnostics, and in diverse other sectors, including materials, green energy, aerospace and healthcare technologies. For a full list of our current direct investments, please see our Current Investments.
The following factors are considered in our initial evaluation of funding requests:
- Is the company located in Baltimore City or willing to relocate its headquarters and principal place of operations?
- Is the product or solution good for mankind – is there a positive a social or economic benefit?
- Will the company create jobs, particularly low-skill or semi-skilled jobs?
- Does the company have a competitive advantage and/or proprietary innovation?
- Is there a substantial commercial market for the innovation? Is the company likely to produce above market returns?
- Does the company leverage local strengths and resources (manufacturing, laboratories, universities, state biotech tax credit etc.) that strengthen the innovation ecosystem?
Our initial investments typically range from $150,000 to $500,000 and we prefer to invest alongside other sophisticated investors at closing.
In addition to providing financial resources, the Foundation is committed to being a value-add partner to support the success of your company. We help our portfolio companies through our experience, knowledge base and substantial network of connections locally and nationally. See our work.